Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"Po-pourri"

Not much to write this week. I made a quick run up to the Po to investigate the area near the dam release. Chaz had been up there over the weekend & intrigued me by what he saw. I rarely fish up in that spot. I think it's been a few years since I bothered. I know there are some real good fish in that deep water, some are actually real big. Chaz was trying to figure out how best to approach that spot in front of the dam release. He even mentioned using a float tube & anchoring himself in front! I have to admit, when he first told me that idea, I wanted to laugh. But, after spending some time up there yesterday, he may be on to something. Hooked up a few, caught a small brownie, saw a brookie with nice color follow my fly almost to my feet, but got spooked at the last minute. Not much to write home about. I should have headed to the Monocacy for some trico action, but the investigation was not a waste of time either.

Lake Erie Tribs Steelhead Report
I've been keeping my eye on some local posts in the Lake Erie area. Like the rest of us here in the Mid-Atlantic region, and certainly PA, we are in dire need of rain. According to Accu-Weather's 15 day forecast, the next time they're calling for rain in that area is Oct. 1st. After that, up until the 7th, although the temps will drop, it's sunny skies. The steelies need rain to begin making their run up into the tribs. Right now, according to the locals, the steelies are holding at the creek mouths near the Lake. The water in the tribs is way too low & clear.
While some of these guys have reported some success, it looks like things will not be picking up until that rain comes.
I am planning to head up in mid-October. I'm praying for rain & that things will be timed just right so that I can hit the tribs when there's water & fish in them. I'll be posting more steelhead reports for the PA Erie tribs in future posts. Tight lines!

No comments: