Wednesday, August 13, 2008

August Update

So far, August has been mild around here in PA. This is certainly a welcome boon for flyfishers. Cooler air & water temps means less stress on the trout & more comfort for the flyfisher. On Monday, I fished a small private pond with some friends in the mountains of Northeastern PA. Weather was unstable with rain, sometimes heavy, coming & going. Headed out early for the pond. With the mist still obscuring most of the water's surface, I lined up, made some leader adjustments, & tied on a hair bass popper. Hooked & landed 6 largemouths, 2 of which were pretty nice sized fish. Lost a few, one freed himself by pulling my leader under a sunken log. Each struck violently at the popper or diver pattern & fought nicely. Fished till about 9AM. Returned around 10:30 with my friends. Got a spunky little sunny, but nothing more. Very slow. Of course, it was near mid-day-not the greatest time to be out. I tried sink-tips & regular floating line rigs with zonkers, buggers, bow river style zuddlers, floating line with poppers & dahlberg style divers. Nothing doing. But, it was just good to have a fly-rod in my hand for the 1st time in 3 weeks! Last cast around 6:30PM. Got a small largemouth on a popper. At least I ended on a positive note. Next week, I'll explore the Trico hatch somewhere in the Lehigh Valley. Hopefully, the weather will still be cooler as it is now. Tight Lines!!

No comments: